30x30Facebook icon 30x30Twitter square 30x30Youtube-logo-02  

Safety Codes Services (Permits)


Please be advised that this notice serves as a reminder that the transition period for voluntary application of the National Energy Code for Buildings (NECB) 2011 and Section 9.36. Alberta Building Code (ABC) 2014 for housing and small buildings ends on November 1, 2016 (see attached).

Another Builders Forum will be hosted by the Town of High River in the fall 2016 with respect to the implementation of the Energy Efficiency component of the 2014 Alberta Building Code.




What is a Building Permit?

Safety Codes Services processes applications for demolitions, new construction and renovations. Safety Codes Services is responsible for construction design approvals relative to building, plumbing, gas, and electrical disciplines in order to ensure all projects meet the minimum building code requirements of the 2006 Alberta Building Code, the Safety Codes Act, and the Town of High River's Quality Management Plan or Land Use Bylaw (LUB).

Permits are required for any repairs where certified inspectors must approve that the work meets legislated safety and building codes. This includes electrical, plumbing, gas, and structural.

Municipal Affairs - New Home Warranties requirement starts on February 1, 2014

When You Need a Permit

Building permits are required for the relocation, construction, demolition, and alteration of any building over 107 square feet (10 m2). Some of the projects requiring a permit include:

  • Construction of a new building (Single Family / Multi Family / Commercial / Industrial, etc)
  • Accessory Buildings & Detached Garages (over 107 sq ft)
  • Basement Development
  • Home Renovations
  • Kitchen Renovations
  • Installation of a solid fuel appliance (i.e. wood stove or wood fireplace)
  • Installation of a swimming pool or hot tub
  • Wheelchair ramps
  • Decks or porches (includes total rebuilds)
  • Change in occupancy of any building (i.e. from retail to office, or office to restaurant, etc.)
  • Tenant Bay Development for Commercial / Industrial Use
  • Addition to any building
  • Alteration to any building
  • Demolition of any building
  • Moving a Building off-site
  • Move on Dwellings / Manufactured Homes
  • Temporary buildings
  • Replacing insulation 
  • Reconstruction of any building that has been damaged by flood, fire, earthquake or other cause
  • Correction of an unsafe condition in any building

Why are Permits Required?

The building permit process protects both the owner's interests and those of the community at large. It also helps to ensure that any structural change is safe. Failure to obtain proper Building Permits can result in costly construction delays, legal action and/or the removal of work already completed.

Building Permits are NOT required for:

  • Fence
  • Residential accessory building not greater than 10 m2 (107.6 ft.2) in area that does not create a hazard. Please contact Safety Codes for clarification.
  • Replacing flooring
  • Removing dry wall or other interior finishes
  • Replacing windows or doors one for one in the same location and size
  • Replacing siding, deck boards or shingles

View 2017 Rate/Fee Schedule

For further information relating to Building Permits or Demolition Permits, contact:

Andrée Lamoureux
Safety Codes Supervisor

Safety Codes Services


Building Permit Statistics

pdf-iconHousing Starts to 2017

pdf-icon2000 - 2017 Overall Statistics


Building Permits

Building Permits



 Building Codes




Demolition Permit / Moving a Building Off Site

A permit is required to demolish or move a building from a site and must be acquired prior to applying for your new building permit. In addition, a Development Permit may be required for a new build including foundation. 

The Demolition Permit process ensures that services have been disconnected prior to demolition and that the site is safe during and after demolition. 

Interior demolition does not require a demolition permit; however, it does require a Building Permit

Demolishing a Garage 

Any garage that will be demolished and replaced with another garage, does not require a Demolition Permit unless it is separately serviced (not from the house). 

Demolishing or removing a detached garage with separate services (is fed from the house or has no services) does require a Demolition Permit. 

Service Disconnection 

Prior to applying for a demolition or moving permit, you are required to contact each utility company (electrical, water and sewer, and natural gas) for disconnection & have the Service Disconnection Request form signed by all applicable utilities. Please note that marking posts for water and sewer connections are required. 

Moving a Building 

Moving a building requires a Moving a Building off-site application. If you are moving a house and it will be relocated within the Town limits, you will also require a Building Permit for the new location and may require a Development Permit. The building mover is required to obtain a permit from Alberta Transportation when moving a building into or out of Town. 

Property Assessment & Taxes 

Removing or demolishing a building affects the property assessment and; therefore, affects property taxes. If the building being demolished or removed from the site will not be replaced, notify the Assessment Department at assessment@highriver.ca or phone 403-652-2110 to have your property assessment adjusted accordingly.



Gas, Plumbing & Electrical

Gas, Plumbing & Electrical Permits

EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1, 2017 all plumbing, gas and electrical inspections are to be scheduled with the Town of High River Safety Codes Department by:

Calling 403-603-3468 or;

E-mailing permits@highriver.ca

Please note: We are no longer accepting permit applications via fax. Please save the below documents to your device, fill them out and e-mail to permits@highriver.ca for processing. 


Information brochures

Applying for Gas, Plumbing & Electrical Permits: 

The Town of High River is authorized through Quality Management Plans to issue plumbing, electrical and gas permits, and Safety Codes is responsible for such issuance. All permits must be acquired prior to undertaking any work, and failure to do so may result in an additional fee being assessed. Applicants should also be advised that in cases where the project involves a building permit, the building permit must be acquired before a plumbing, electrical or gas permit will be released.

Electrical Permits are NOT required for:

  • replacing of the receptacles only

Electrical Permits are required for:

  • replacing of any wiring and outlets
  • replacing of the electrical panel board and/or circuit breakers
  • Please notify for an inspection for the electrical rough in before the walls are covered or when the electrical panel replacement is completed.

Gas Permits are NOT required for:

  • replacing of a gas fired appliance if the new appliance is identical to the one that it replaces
  • the replacement of a dryer, range, water heater or space heating appliance if
    (i) it is located in a single family residential dwelling, and
    (ii) no design change is required to any gas piping or venting system;

Gas Permits are required for:

  • any upgrades, installations, alterations or change of type, etc. of the appliance and associated equipment 


To book an inspection for gas, plumbing and electrical permits:

To book an inspection for a building permit:

Please fill out the form below and a Permits Staff Member will confirm an inspection date with you.

OR phone 403.603.3412 Monday - Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Company Name:
Project Address:*
Type of Inspection:*
Permit Number:
Date ready for inspection:*
Access to Home:*

Town Office

309B MacLeod Trail SW
High River, AB   T1V 1Z5

Phone: 403.652.2110
Fax: 403.652.2396

Bob Snodgrass
Recreation Complex

24hr Info: 403.652.4041
Inquiries: 403.652.4042 

Phone: 403.652.8620
Parent Link Centre

Phone: 403.652.8633

Economic Development

Phone: 403.652.4657
Operations Emergency Numbers
Roads: 403.601.1258
Water & Sewer: 403.652.6353


Bylaw Services
Phone: 403.888.0267
Fire Department
Phone: 403.652.3774
Phone: 403.652.2357
Emergencies: 403.652.2356
Emergency Management
Phone: 403.652.6960