Certificate of Compliance

Home / Planning and Development Services / Certificate of Compliance

A Certificate of Compliance, or compliance stamp, is a confirmation that the site location of the buildings(s) comply with the requirements of the Town of High River Land Use Bylaw based on examination of a Real Property Report. The Certificate of Compliance does not enforce any Safety Code requirements.

The Certificate of Compliance is not a requirement of the Town – it is a service that the Town provides upon request and requires payment. Typically, real estate transactions require such compliance as a condition of sale.

Once you have decided to sell your property, you should apply for a Compliance Certificate at your earliest convenience to avoid any potential delay.

A Registered Alberta Land Surveyor must prepare or update a Real Property Report.

Click on the headings below to expand

A minimum of two (2) original Real Property Reports must be submitted to the Town, however applicants can submit as many originals as they wish. One (1) original Real Property Report will be kept on file at the Town office for future reference so please keep this in mind when determining how many originals you need to submit. The Real Property Reports must be prepared by a Registered Alberta Land Surveyor.

If a Real Property Report is more than ninety (90) days old, a Statutory Declaration will be required from the registered owner confirming that all building locations as shown on the Real Property Report are accurate and no changes have been made since the survey date.

All Certificate of Compliance requests can be submitted to the High River Planning and Development Services Division during regular business hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. Or you can mail your Certificate of Compliance request with a cheque payment to:

  • Planning & Development Services Division
  • 309B Macleod Trail S.W.
  • High River, AB  T1V 1Z5

We understand that Certificate of Compliance requests are typically time sensitive. Standard response time is within 7 business days.  Priority Service is available in which you will receive a response within 2 to 3 business days.  Occasionally some compliance requests require more information and may need further time to conduct research.

If your property does not meet the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw, you will receive a letter outlining your options to bring your property into compliance. The possible options may include applying for a variance, entering into an encroachment agreement or removal or relocation of a building on the property, most commonly sheds. Planning and Development Services are always available to discuss options with the property owner.

In the event a building is moved to bring a property into compliance, a Statutory Declaration is required to be signed by the property owner stating that the work was completed and the property is now in compliance with the Land Use Bylaw.