Keep up with all the latest COVID-19 updates here.×
Camp Fire up close

Know the Rules

Review some general rules on fire prevention and public safety below

Read the Fire Protection Bylaw for more information.


  • As per the High River Fire Protection Bylaw, no one can sell, possess, or discharge fireworks within the Town unless they have the appropriate permits, insurance and licensing for display fireworks
  • A fire permit is required for the discharge of fireworks.
  • Fireworks must be purchased from a recognized company that meets all current provincial and federal regulations and standards
  • The Fire Chief may impose any conditions on a permit issued for discharge of fireworks in the Town as deemed necessary
  • Fireworks considered consumer fireworks are banned in the Town. Possession, sale, discharge or storage of consumer fireworks or firecrackers is prohibited
  • Please call the High River Fire Department at 403-652-3774 if you would like a firework permit or have any questions regarding fireworks

Fire Pit Safety Rules

  • Backyard fire pits should be built into the ground, on brick or stone, or in a fire-proof container. Portable fire pits may be used on a deck if they sit on brick or stone, and not directly on your wooden deck
  • Fire pits must be at least three (3) metres away from your property line, house, garage, or fence
  • Fire pits must be at least three (3) metres away from any trees, branches, plants, or other materials that can catch fire
  • Flame height does not exceed one (1) metre above the fire pit
  • Is covered with a 3mm wish mesh screen or spark guard
  • Is supervised at all times by a responsible adult until such time that the fire has been extinguished
  • Always have a way to put out the fire close to your fire pit, such as a bucket of water or garden hose

Open Burning

  • Means any fire that is not a contained fire or recreational fire
  • Any open burning must have a Fire Permit issued by the Fire Chief or Member in Charge
  • There shall be NO burning when winds exceed 20 kilometers per hour

What NOT To Burn

  • Straw and stubble
  • Animal carcasses
  • Animal manure
  • Chemicals and chemical containers
  • Combustible material in automobile bodies
  • Combustible material in automobiles
  • Household refuse
  • Non-wooden material
  • Paints and painting materials
  • Pathological waste
  • Rubber or plastic or anything containing or coated with rubber or plastic or similar substances except rubber or plastic attached to shredded scrap steel
  • Tires
  • Used oil
  • Wood or wood products containing substances for the purposes of preserving wood
  • Any material contrary to federal, provincial, or municipal legislation
  • Insulation from electrical wiring or equipment, asphalt, roofing materials, hydrocarbons, plastics, other materials, or creosoted wood
  • Herbicides, pesticides, or other toxic materials or substances
  • All normal waste which results from the operation of a household or commercial business or occupation and shall include without restricting the foregoing, paper, rags, lawn and hedge clippings, packaging materials, and waste from the preparation of food unless the same is burned pursuant to the terms of a Fire Permit, or in an incinerator