Read on to learn about Christmas tree safety tips.
Picking The Tree
- Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched
Placing The Tree
- Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 2” from the base of the trunk
- Make sure the tree is at least 3 feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles heat vents or lights
- Make sure the tree is not blocking any exit
- Add water to the tree stands. Be sure to add water daily
Lighting The Tree
- Use lights that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect
- Never use lit candles to decorate the tree
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed
- Get rid of the tree after Christmas or when it is dry
- Dried out trees are a fire danger and should not be left in the home or garage, or places outside against the home
- Bring outdoor electrical lights inside after the holidays to prevent hazards and make them last longer
We're here to help, contact us!
Fire Hall 1010 5th St SE High River, Alberta
Monday to Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm
403-652-3774Follow us on Facebook
Subscribe to the Town Crier!
Contact the Fire Inspector - Stewart Corbett
403-336-5903Report a Concern