Imagine High River 2042! Let's Plan Our Future Together!
Imagine High River 2042. The Town Plan Project is underway. Let's plan our future together! Check back often for next steps, updates and ongoing opportunities to share what matters to you.
Our Community, Our Town Plan
What is a Town Plan?
Also called Municipal Development Plan (MDP), the Town Plan is a key policy document that describes a vision and desired outcomes for the future of High River. It shows how our community is expected to change over time and the shape it will take.
The new Town Plan will include policies, objectives and strategies for how the Town will work towards that vision through the land use decisions, development management, and investment in infrastructure and programs. The current Town Plan was prepared with advice and guidance from interested residents, consultants and stakeholders. View the 2009 Town Plan.
Click on the tabs below for more details, and be sure to check the latest updates for information about how to stay involved!
Questions? Comments? Please contact Project Manager, Khalid Mohammed, Manager of Planning & Development Services at 403-603-3408 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Town Plan Information
Community Feedback: Read the What We Heard Reports and Feedback
Thanks to everyone who has participated in the community engagement sessions so far. Please watch for next steps as we plan our future together.
- View the Community Feedback Report 'What We Heard' summarizing the results of community engagement from April to June, 2022 (PDF)
- Read the Comments Received here - September - October, 2022 (personal information is redacted - Link opens a PDF)
- View the Community Feedback Report #2, 'What We Heard,' summarizing the results of community engagement from September 15 - 30, 2022.
- Read the Comments Received here - April to June, 2022 (personal information is redacted - Link opens a SharePoint document)
Key Elements of a Town Plan
Under the Provincial Municipal Government Act (MGA), the Town Plan (also known as a ‘Municipal Development Plan’) is a requirement for all municipalities. The current Town Plan was developed in 2009 and amended to include a Growth Management Strategy in 2013.
The Key Focus Areas of the Town Plan Update will be identifying:
- What makes High River special and what are our community values?
- What has changed in our community since 2009 and how will we continue to grow?
- What kinds of housing do we need?
- Where should future development occur?
- What are our transportation needs?
- How can we support and encourage business and industry?
- How can we protect and celebrate our natural environment and green spaces?
- What policies and strategies can we establish to make sure future growth and development adheres to our community vision?
Town Plan Task Force - Your Community Representatives
Town Plan Task Force Committee Members - view list of members
Town Plan Task Force members are working together to ensure there is a community-driven process undertaken for the duration of the Town Plan re-write project. The Task Force members are helping to guide public engagement methods by sharing their knowledge of our community. They will also assist the project team in creating a document that can be used by the entire community to reach shared goals and objectives.
Town Plan Task Force Terms of Reference
- Read the Terms of Reference guiding the Task Force in it's important role
Town Plan Task Force Role and Duration
- The Task Force will liaise with the project team for the duration of the project, which is anticipated to be between 11 months once the project kicks-off in the first quarter of 2022.
- The Task Force will be involved in project team meetings, development of the engagement plan, review of consultant recommendations, drafting of the vision, goals, objectives and policies, and determining the overall format and organization of the final Town Plan.
Your Involvement Matters! View Task Force Member Videos
Resident Survey (ended October 7, 2022)
Resident Survey - Enter to Win a Draw for $100!
Visit the survey website and tell us what you think about the emerging themes and priorities - place a pin on a map and share your feedback!
- TAKE THE SURVEY NOW AND ENTER TO WIN (link to online survey)
- Online fillable form survey (opens fillable PDF)
September 2022 Town Plan Events and Community Engagement
The Town Plan Task Force wants to hear from you! During the month of September plan to attend Town Plan Community Events including Open Houses, pop-ups and other opportunities to chat with the Town Plan team. If you can't make it to any of these events, please reach out to email@example.com.
- Thanks to everyone who has participated in the community engagement sessions so far.
- We invite you to review the summary of Community Feedback in the ‘What We Heard’ Report to learn about some of the big themes emerging
- Read the Comments Received here (personal information is redacted - Link opens a SharePoint document)
- Share your ideas - more ideas - on what should be in the plan with the Town Plan Team.
- The next step will be a public review of emerging themes, guiding principles, goals and objectives.
September Community Engagement Schedule - check back as more opportunities are added to the list!
September 6 - Coffee with Council: 10 - 11:30 a.m. at the High River Library
September 15 - Town Plan Open House, Highwood Centre 4 - 8 p.m.
From Vision to Reality: Find out how our collective ideas and imaginations
September 17 - Bob Snodgrass Recreation Complex Drop-in
September 20 - High River Library Drop-in
September 25 - River City Classics Car Show / Show & Shine
January to August 2022 Updates and Opportunities
Community Feedback Report - July 2022
View the Community Feedback Report 'What We Heard' summarizing the results of community engagement from April to June, 2022 (PDF)
Planning is Underway for the Next Phase of Town Plan Community Engagement
The first phase of community engagement focused on a new Town Plan has been a great success! Planning is underway to reach out to the community and look deeper into the many ideas and suggestions received. In the past two months, residents have enthusiastically provided ideas and suggestions, contributing to the development of a new plan that will guide High River’s future, with a vision for how our community will grow over the next twenty years.
Town Plan Update and Neighbourhood Pop-Ups
The first phase of official community engagement for the Town Plan will run from May 9 – 20. Thank you to those who took part in drop-in sessions at the beginning of April and those who continue to provide additional comments online; feedback from residents is crucial to the town-planning process.
Imagine High River 2042! Share and Learn About Our Town Plan April 5-9
The Town Plan Project is about to begin, and we are excited to hear from you and share how you can get involved! Everyone is invited to drop in at locations around the community this week to chat about High River’s future. We’re asking you – What should High River look like in 2042?
High River's Roadmap to 2042 - Town Plan Project Moving Forward
- Council has officially selected McElhanney Ltd. to help rewrite the Town Plan. The Town Plan is avital guidance document required under the Municipal Government Act. The Town Plan will serve as a Roadmap, guiding future growth and development for the next 20 years. The plan will define how our town will look in the future.
- The Town continues to recruit for the Town Plan Task Force and will select two more volunteers from our community. One of the volunteers will be a young person between the ages of 14 –19who will also join the High River Youth Advisory Committee. This is an excellent opportunity for those with background and interest in planning to contribute to the long-term view and vision for High River.
- If you are interested in joining this important Task Force, you are welcome to contact Planning and Development with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org. Watch this web page and follow the Town's social media channels for more updates.
March 8 Council Report
- January 24 Committee of the Whole - Town Plan Task Force
- High River is a growing and changing community. We want your ideas on how and where to grow! The Town is embarking on an update to our Town Plan, the key document that guides long-term growth and development of High River. It is important that an updated Town Plan embraces our community’s charm while ensuring we remain progressive.
Imagine High River 2042! Town Plan Project Introduction
Let's Plan our Future Together!
The Town Plan Project is officially underway. Check back often for updates and information about how you can help shape High River's future! We are listening! To see what we've done so far, read the latest updates below.
- Visit the project website
- Read or print the Town Plan project information page
Can't attend a planned event? Contact Us with your questions or comments...
Questions? Comments? We want to hear from you! If you are unable to attend drop-in sessions and other planned events, call us, and we will meet you where you are or chat by telephone. Contact Project Manager, Khalid Mohammed, Manager of Planning & Development Services at 403-603-3408 or email@example.com
We're here to help, contact us!
309B Macleod Trail S.W., High River, Alberta
Monday to Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm (Closed on statutory holidays)
Frequently Requested BylawsReport a Concern