The Town Farm survey is now closed. A total of 144 online surveys were submitted, in addition to the 35 hard copies completed at various Town locations and at the May 27 Open House.
We wish to thank all those who took the time to share their thoughts and ideas about potential ways to adaptively re-use and re-activate this beautiful historic site.
Review and analysis of the input received will now proceed. Please stay tuned to this page for further details and potential next steps.
The Town of High River hosted a public open house with over 20 attendees on Saturday, May 27 at the Town Farm site located at 820 Highwood Trail S.W. (See map).
“The Town’s Heritage Advisory Board created a public survey to start a community conversation about adaptive re-use of the Town Farm,” says Don Barr, vice-chair of the High River Heritage Advisory Board. “We’d like to hear ideas from the public on how we can respect and preserve the building’s historic integrity while breathing new life into the facility.”
In this year of commemorating 150 years since Confederation, the importance of recognizing, celebrating and preserving Canada’s heritage for future generations is taking centre stage.
The humble sandstone farmhouse is one of the town’s most significant historic sites. Now known as the Town Farm, the building dates back to 1896, and was part of an area of land that once boasted a stopping house, a post office, a school and even a racetrack.
The Town Farm site played a role in the early social and commercial life in southern Alberta, by being part of the network of stopping houses between Fort Benton, Montana, Fort Macleod and Fort Calgary.
“While the majority of the original buildings are gone, the fact that this building remains as part of High River’s landscape presents an opportunity to preserve that link to our prairie past, while exploring potential new ways to use and celebrate the space,” adds Barr.