Keeping the Town’s wastewater systems clean and running efficiently. Wastewater flows through 12 lift stations and 90 km of pipe to reach the Wastewater Treatment Plant
Wastewater flows through 12 neighbourhood lift stations and 90 kilometers of gravity and force mains until it reaches High River’s main lift station.
From there, wastewater is pumped to the Wastewater Treatment Plant - a series of lagoons 15 kilometers away from town.
For more information, read our Sewers Use Bylaw.
Sewer Backed Up? Call Public Works for Help!
- 7:00 - 3:30 Weekdays: 403-652-4657
- 24 Hour Emergency After Hours Line: 403-652-6353
- Town crews will respond to assess the main sewer line in your area.
- If the main lines are clear with no obstructions, you will be advised to call a plumber to assess sewer lines on your property.
- For information about the cost of sewer lines back up cost recovery contact Public Works general administration line: 403-652-4657
- For additional information on sewer backups, please visit "Sewer Backed Up? Here's What You Should Do".
To Flush? Or Not to Flush?
Misuse of our sewer system damages lift station pumps leading to costly and time-consuming repairs. Eventually, non-flushable items end up in the lagoon system and affect the water treatment process by adding unwanted volume to the lagoons. This results in significant and costly cleaning processes.
No one wants sewer backs ups! Remember the toilet is not for waste disposal. Flushing anything other than human waste and toilet paper will cause plugs in the sanitary system.
Flush the following:
- Human waste
- Toilet paper
Do not flush the following:
- Wet Wipes/baby wipes
- Dental Floss
- Feminine hygiene products (including plastic applicators)
- Old prescription drugs (bring to pharmacy for safe disposal)
- Grease from cooking
- Prophylactics (condoms)
Capital Projects – Lift Station and Water Treatment Plant
View our Major Projects Map for more information on these capital projects.
We're here to help, contact us!
640 7 Street N.W. High River, Alberta
Public Works Office: 7:00 am - 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Recycling hours Monday & Friday, 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Tuesday to Thursday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Saturday and Sunday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (Closed on statutory holidays)
Subscribe to the Town Crier!
Frequently Requested BylawsReport a Concern