Volunteer for Green Sweep May 6 - Keep High River Beautiful!
by Town of High River
HIGH RIVER, AB: On Saturday, May 6, volunteers will be cleaning up green spaces around the community during the 19th annual Green Sweep, hosted by the Town of High River.
Residents can also pitch in by bringing things to the recycle centre and by taking advantage of waiving of tipping fees at the landfill from May 4-6. We are fortunate to share beautiful parks and green spaces in High River. Your contributions help to make spring clean-up a success!
Volunteer activities: Please come out to help with activities such as raking leaves, collecting branches and picking up garbage. The Town will identify priority areas within the community that require clean-up and provide direction.
Volunteers are asked to meet at the East parking lot of the Bob Snodgrass Recreation Complex (228 12 Ave. S.E.) between 9:00 a.m.- 9:30a.m.
The Community Block Trailer will be on hand, and everyone will receive maps and coffee to start the day. There will also be a brief safety orientation and stretching before heading out for the community clean up. The event runs until noon, volunteers are then invited to return for a free brown bag lunch.
What can you do? During the Green Sweep event, residents have an opportunity to drop off items for recycling, courtesy of Alberta Recycling and eCycle Solutions (in the East lot of the Bob Snodgrass Recreation Complex):
- Small appliances: microwaves, clocks, fans, hair dryers, heaters, irons, toasters, shavers, vacuums
- Electronics: televisions, computer monitors, desktop computers, servers, laptops, notebooks, tablets, keyboards, mice, computer speakers, cables desktop printers, scanners, fax machines, photocopiers, and multifunction printers
***These items are also accepted for recycling at the Town’s Recycle Centre***
For a complete list of items that can be recycled, visit highriver.ca/recycling.
Waiving landfill tipping fees
- From May 4-6, the Town will pay the tipping fees for High River residents taking non-commercial, residential waste to the Foothills Regional Landfill. Must be a current resident of High River.
- The tipping fees will also be waived for Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) in quantities under 20 litres. Residents dropping off more than 20 litres of HHW will be charged the standard fees at the Foothills Regional Landfill.
- Household Hazardous Waste will not be accepted at the Recreation Complex and must be taken to the Foothills Regional Landfill.
For more information:
Parks and Recreation