Do You Need A Building Permit?

The building permit process protects both the owner’s interests and those of the community at large.

The 2023 Safety Code fees can be found here.

Failure to obtain proper Building Permits can result in costly construction delays, legal action and/or the removal of work already completed.

It also helps to ensure that any structural change is safe.

Building permits are required for the relocation, construction, demolition, and alteration of any building over 107 square feet (10 m2).

If you are not sure or have questions, please contact us. We are happy to help!

Find out if you need a building permit: Building permit fact sheet

Building Permits ARE required for the following:

  • Construction of a new building (Single Family/Multi Family/ Commercial/Industrial, etc.)
  • Accessory buildings & detached garages (over 107 sq ft)
  • Basement development
  • Home renovations
  • Kitchen renovations
  • Installation of a solid fuel appliance (i.e., wood stove or wood fireplace)
  • Installation of a swimming pool or hot tub
  • Wheelchair ramps
  • Decks or porches (includes total rebuilds)
  • Change in occupancy of any building (i.e., from retail to office, or office to restaurant, etc.)
  • Tenant bay development for commercial/industrial use
  • Addition to any building
  • Alteration to any building
  • Demolition of any building
  • Moving a building off-site
  • Move on dwellings/manufactured homes
  • Temporary buildings
  • Replacing insulation
  • Reconstruction of any building that has been damaged by flood, fire, earthquake or other cause
  • Correction of an unsafe condition in any building
  • Solar Photovoltaic Panels

Building Permits are NOT required for the following:

  • Fence
  • Residential accessory building not greater than 10 m2 (107.6 ft.2) in area that does not create a hazard. Please contact Safety Codes for clarification.
  • Replacing flooring
  • Removing dry wall or other interior finishes
  • Replacing windows or doors one for one in the same location and size
  • Replacing siding, deck boards or shingles

Related Links and Resources

We're here to help, contact us!
Icon of a map marker pin

309B Macleod Trail S.W., High River, Alberta

Icon of a clock

Monday to Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm (Closed on statutory holidays)

Icon of an e-mail 'at' symbol

Icon of an phone

403-603-3411 or 403-603-3412

Icon of an phone


Icon of an phone

COVID-19 Information

Icon of an phone

Frequently Requested Bylaws

Report a Concern