Camp Fire up close

Know the Rules

Review some general rules on fire prevention, fireworks, fire pit safety, open burning, what not to burn, and public safety below.

Fire Protection Bylaw

The purpose of the Fire Protection Bylaw is to authorize the prevention and control of fires and authorize the imposition and recovery of related fees, expenses, and charges.

Stay in the Know!


  • As per the High River Fire Protection Bylaw, no one can sell, possess, or discharge fireworks within the Town unless they have the appropriate permits, insurance and licensing to display fireworks.
  • A fire permit is required for the discharge of fireworks.
  • Fireworks must be purchased from a recognized company that meets all current provincial and federal regulations and standards.
  • The Fire Chief may impose any conditions on a permit issued to discharge fireworks in the Town as deemed necessary.
  • Fireworks considered consumer fireworks are banned in the Town. Possession, sale, discharge or storage of consumer fireworks or firecrackers is prohibited.
  • Please call the High River Fire Department at 403-652-3774 if you want a fireworks permit or have any questions regarding fireworks.

Fire Pit Safety:

  • Backyard fire pits should be built into the ground, on brick or stone, or in a fire-proof container. Portable fire pits may be used on a deck if they sit on brick or stone and not directly on your wooden deck.
  • Fire pits must be at least three (3) metres away from your property line, house, garage, or fence.
  • Fire pits must be at least three (3) metres away from any trees, branches, plants, or other materials that can catch fire.
  • Flame height must not exceed one (1) metre above the fire pit
  • It is covered with a 3mm wish mesh screen or spark guard
  • Is supervised at all times by a responsible adult until such time that the fire has been extinguished
  • Always have a way to put out the fire close to your fire pits, such as a bucket of water or a garden hose

Open Burning:

  • This means any fire that is not a contained fire or recreational fire
  • Any open burning must have a Fire Permit issued by the Fire Chief or Member in Charge
  • There shall be NO burning when winds exceed 20 kilometres per hour

What Not to Burn:

  • Straw and stubble
  • Animal carcasses
  • Animal manure
  • Chemicals and chemical containers
  • Combustible material in automobile bodies
  • Combustible material in automobiles
  • Household refuse
  • Non-wooden material
  • Paints and painting materials
  • Pathological waste
  • Rubber or plastic or anything containing or coated with rubber or plastic or similar substances except rubber or plastic attached to shredded scrap steel
  • Tires
  • Used oil
  • Wood products containing substances for the purposes of preserving wood
  • Any material contrary to federal, provincial, or municipal legislation
  • Insulation from electrical wiring or equipment, asphalt, roofing materials, hydrocarbons, plastics, other materials, or creosoted wood
  • Herbicides, pesticides, or other toxic materials or substances
  • All normal waste which results from the operation of a household or commercial business or occupation shall include, without restricting the foregoing, paper, rags, lawn and hedge clippings, packaging materials, and waste from the preparation of food unless the same is burned pursuant to the terms of a Fire Permit, or in an incinerator

We're here to help, contact us!
Fire Services
Icon of a map marker pin

Fire Hall 1010 5th St SE High River, Alberta

Icon of a clock

Monday to Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm

Icon of an e-mail 'at' symbol

Icon of an phone

Fire Department: 403-652-3774

Contact the Fire Inspector - Stewart Corbett
Icon of an e-mail 'at' symbol

Report a Concern Facebook Icon Follow us on Facebook