Winter Ways to Play
High River is magical place to play in the winter and especially during the holiday season! Discover all of the fun activities to enjoy during a High River winter
On those cold winter days, enjoy Indoor Play
Virtual Community Programs and classes on YouTube offered by our (very) enthusiastic Parks & Recreation staff! Everything from zumba, yoga, Silver Circuit and meditation, to babysitting, Home Alone and Stay Safe courses.
Snowshoeing and Cross Country Skiing
- Happy Trails
- Sunshine Lake – 9 Ave SE
- Montrose – Monteith Dr SE
- Emerson lake – 9 Ave SE
- Highwood Lake Village
- River Valley – access off of north end of 7 St SW
- Emerson Lake (NW Corner)
- Emerson Road Playground
- Charles Clark Park
Walking/Bird watching /Photography
- Frank Lake – located 12km east of High River
- Happy Trails – View the Happy Trails Map
- Nature enjoyment and photography
How about a Treasure Hunt? Try Geocaching
Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.
Check out local geocashing apps on your mobile phone.
Parks for Kids of all Ages
- Visit our Parks and Recreation page for a list of parks for those warm, winter days
Not into Snow? Build a snow fort – in the living room! Or brighten everyone's day around the holidays!
- Decorate your windows for people to see when they walk or drive by
- Help cook or bake holiday treats
- Listen to holiday stories or watch holiday videos on TV or your phone or iPad
- Do you play an instrument? Learn a holiday song!