Wishing You Wellness this Holiday Season
by Town of High River
HIGH RIVER AB – The Town’s Community Support Services Division wishes you wellness this holiday season. While this season can bring happiness and joy, it can also be a stressful, demanding, and challenging time for many. The Community Support Services Division includes Family and Community Support Services (FCSS), Foothills Community Counselling and the Greater Foothills Family Centre. Our services are designed with you in mind, as we aim to positively affect the quality of life in High River.
With the holidays and winter now upon us, Community Support Services has listed some simple self-care strategies to manage holiday stress and beat the winter blues:
Practice Healthy Habits
- Spend some time outside and breathe in some fresh air
- Go for walks! Enjoy the Happy Trails and the indoor walking track
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet when possible
- Try to stick to a regular schedule for eating, exercise, sleep and other activities
Make a little time for yourself.
We know this isn’t easy. Listening to your favourite music, reading a book, watching a holiday classic, baking cookies, or playing a game can soothe and lift spirits.
Carve out some time to connect with friends and family who fill your cup. It’s worth it! Spend time with people who bring out the best in you. Participate in activities that energize you and lift you up. It is okay to be selective with the people and activities you choose.
Little things such as letting the light in and practicing relaxation techniques can help in times of stress or anxiety. Open window blinds or sit near a window! Give yourself permission to take it easy. Think about how you want to spend your time this holiday season and what’s most important to you.
Lastly, reach out for support if you need it. The following services are available for High River residents throughout the holiday season (24/7):
- Distress Centre (24-hour Crisis Line): 403-266-4357
- Alberta Health Services Intake Line: 403-943-1500
- Emergency Services: 9-1-1
Do you know someone who is feeling blue this holiday?
This article provides ideas for thoughtful holiday greetings for those dealing with grief or hardship.
The FCSS Resource Centre and the Foothills Community Counselling programs are moving!
- Starting on December 16, 2021, our new location will be at 251 – 9th AVE S.W. - also known as the Culture Centre building.
Holiday Office Closure
- Community Support Services will also focus on well-being over the holiday season. This includes the well-being of staff who work to help our community. Community Support Services offices will be closed from December 24, 2021 – January 3, 2022.
For more information:
FCSS Resource Centre
Foothills Community Counselling
Greater Foothills Family Centre